POSITION DESCRIPTION JOB TITLE: Operations Manager
REPORTS TO: Director, Operations
Position Summary: The role of the Operations Manager (OM) is to coach, train and develop assigned Project Managers to ensure all their projects are completed on time, 100% complete, within budget and with a delighted customer. The OM may also assist the business development efforts with designated customers, as well as personally run projects during times with a busy workload. The OM will be measured using the same KPIs (i.e., projects managed, actual versus budgeted margin, on-time completion, etc.) as for Project Managers, with additional measures for customer and organization development. In this capacity, the OM must interface effectively with customers, vendors, subcontractors, Engineering, Sales, and Administration. This position should expect to travel 1-2 days per week.
Manage Direct reports (Project Manager, Assistant Project Manager, Project Administrator), which includes:
- Provide coaching, training, and development of all direct reports on daily, weekly, monthly basis
- Maintain KPI scorecard for assigned personnel and projects
- Complete annual (or more frequent) performance reviews, including salary and career pathing recommendations
- Support resources in other Departments on tasks related to projects including material purchasing, installer contracting, closeouts, incentives, and audits
Monitor implementation of projects, which includes:
- Conduct daily reviews of the status of every assigned project with the PM to keep it on track and head off any problems
- Ensure PM is following and in compliance with the Eco Engineering defined work process/best practices
- Review accounting progress reports daily to ensure adherence to reporting process by PM and crew
- Monitor all customer, sales, and subcontractor communication to ensure project is progressing on schedule; provide coaching as needed
Review contracts for projects being assigned to team, which includes:
- Ensure contract has correct scope of work, identified exceptions, timeline/schedule, etc. attached when signed and returned to customer
- Review and revise any contract T&Cs that are unacceptable before contract is signed
- Create and submit schedule of values when necessary
- Approve all project change orders from PM to ensure they capture all costs and improve project margin
Play a leadership role in project Charter Meetings, which includes:
- Review all project assumptions to confirm the PM has a plan to achieve the budget
- Serve as a resource to the PM when requesting subcontractor bids, and help select the best crew
- Review with PM project implementation schedules and work orders for the crew that we can meet/exceed. The schedule should integrate material, labor, and customer needs
- Review with PM a Bill of Material (BOM) for Purchasing that meets the material budget; including working with purchasing on sample needs, releases and final submittals for the customer
Act as Project Manager on assigned project(s) during busy time periods, which includes:
- Personally lead selected projects to demonstrate best practices on how to run a project according to process; and look for process improvement opportunities.
- Adhere to the PM role, including attending the charter meeting, selecting the crew, supervising project start up, monitoring implementation, and responsible for project close out and reconciliation
Participate in monthly completed project financial reconciliation meeting, which includes:
- Ensure PM is fully prepared for meeting, job financials are current and accurate, and actual result versus budgeted amount variances are explained
- Provide written feedback to the crews on their remarkable performance, positive and negative
- Identify and implement process improvement suggestions to Director Operations and team
Develop personal and professional relationships with designated customers, for both development and implementation, which includes:
- Develop a thorough understanding of the Company’s strategy for each client segment and join Sales on select scheduled customer presentations, including “lunch and learn” and annual business reviews
- Participate with Sales and Engineering on development of future projects; including review of budget before proposal is finalized
- Visit prospective future job sites with Engineering or customer as needed
Skills and Experience:
- At least ten years of related commercial solar construction project management experience.
- History of managing multiple projects across multiple project managers simultaneously.
- Familiarity with working independently yet following prescribed processes.
- Extensive knowledge of project contracts, change orders, and budget compliance.
- Experience reading/interpreting plans, blueprints, specifications, and/or other construction documents.
- Knowledge of NEC codes.
- Journeyman or Master Electrician license preferred though not required.
- Proficient computer skills and experience with MS Office suite.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly organized, detail oriented, and efficient mindset.
- Ability to travel 20% of month (either to job sites, client offices, Company HQ, or to locations of direct reports)
This description is not intended to include all possible job responsibilities. The Operations Manager may perform job-related tasks other than those mentioned here.
If at any point in the application process (including hiring), a candidate needs an accommodation due to a disability or a religious need, please email us your resume at email@example.com Eco Engineering is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. We consider all qualified applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or any other legally protected status. We also comply with all applicable laws governing employment practices and do not discriminate on the basis of any unlawful criteria.